Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reasons you should self-publish your book
Hello authors! In this thread, we will explore the reasons that will inspire us to self-publish rather than waiting for a traditional publisher to get back to us and give some high-worded rejection reply in the email. Why should you self-publish your book? We call all the successful authors, publishers and book market experts in India (who are registered on Self-publishing Network) to share their opinions on this very essential topic. We are sure that this conversation will help many aspiring authors know the bright sides of self-publishing and they will be inching towards making their big decision of writing career step by step and fully backed with facts and complete knowledge of the industry.
I am interested in knowing more about this topic... I am glad that this is one of the initial topics that admins have raised on this forum dedicated to self-publishing. I am still confused about whether I should go for self publishing or not. I have read at many places online that self-publishing should be the last option an author should choose. Is it right? Is self-publishing a book that bad? Or I am missing the other side of the moon? I would love to hear from the experts and publishers and agents if they are onboard.
What I think is that the world we are living in has become all-focused on money only. So, the publishers who are traditional, just to call themselves so, have decided to milk money from the publishing job and they have opened their wings - Penguin to Patridge and the backdoor options on any other big name in publishing are the examples. But I guess that the authors who are serious about their books should self-publish only as it gives them the edge to choose what they want to do with their books. They can publish quickly, have their say in terms of price and editing, opinions and inputs in cover designing and many more. They can decide the price as well. I am all in for self-publishing.
As a co-founder of one of the most transparent and rapidly emerging self-publishing companies in India, Ashvamegh Publication, let me offer my inputs on this very essential and interesting discussion about self-publishing. Self-publishing gives an author the following direct advantages:
1. Publish quickly - there is no delay as in the case of traditional publishers
2. Fully optimised publishing as per the author's inputs in cover, editing, manuscript discussion, pricing and distribution
3. You have full control over your budget (Ashvamegh Publication offers completely transparent pricing and full budget control to its authors)
4. You publish as per your needs and not as per the publisher's needs
5. You can relaunch the second edition anytime - unlike the traditional publishing that doesn't offer you any control
6. YOU OWN THE MANUSCRIPT

These are some of the key benefits of self-publishing that are not offered by traditional publishers. And let me bust the myth - there is nothing like traditional publishing in India (as it used to be earlier) today. So, take your decisions wisely.
(02-03-2020, 04:43 AM)SPN_Admin Wrote: Hello authors! In this thread, we will explore the reasons that will inspire us to self-publish rather than waiting for a traditional publisher to get back to us and give some high-worded rejection reply in the email. Why should you self-publish your book? We call all the successful authors, publishers and book market experts in India (who are registered on Self-publishing Network) to share their opinions on this very essential topic. We are sure that this conversation will help many aspiring authors know the bright sides of self-publishing and they will be inching towards making their big decision of writing career step by step and fully backed with facts and complete knowledge of the industry.
Hey thanks for the advice. I currently writing a fantasy series. I've already wrote the first novel and Im planning on making a trilogy. I want to send it to a publisher to have it checked. I still need to make a few revisions but I'm excited of the outcome no matter what the publisher says. Its exciting to see my work on a hardcover book. This thread has been very helpful. Thanks again!
Hello!!

Quality is one of the key factors for the success of any project and it should be taken care of without compromise. Though self-Publishing has become popular and constantly growing in our country, being a debutant author, I have apprehensions about the quality of my book. If I follow traditional roads for publishing, then the publishing company manages entire editing and proofreading process. There are definite checkpoints that ensure professional and error-free output. But, when I opt for Self-publishing, there are no such set standards or processes to cope with roadblocks associated with quality checks and measures. Compromising with the quality is directly proportional to comprising with your image as an author.

Is there any way to deal with this important issue?
Please reply me so that I can get out of my confusion about this important issue. Thanks in advance!
Let me tell you that nowadays, self-publishing companies have editing as well as proof-reading services in their offering basket. They not only help you in fixing grammar but clarifying and improving your book’s content and structure while matching your writing style. The most important thing here is, unlike the traditional approach, in this era of self-publishing, the author has to pay for every small service. So be very cautious while choosing a publisher for your book. Because some publishers may offer you many services while signing the contract but actually offer you nothing when the time comes. The publisher should be transparent, honest about budget and processes and phases of publication.